Monday 25 February 2008

To the man in the beige Toyota Vios who refused to pay the entry fee for the Supercars for Charity event

To the man in the beige Toyota Vios who refused to pay the RM10 entry fee at the Supercars for Charity event,

I’m not entirely sure if you drove a Toyota Vios, but I’m pretty sure it was beige. You arrived at the Supercars Charity Drive held at Sepang International Circuit at about 4p.m. where I was manning the entrance. There were 4 people in your car: you, a woman in the passenger seat who I assume was your wife, and two others in the backseat. Quite possibly your second and third wives.

I asked you for the RM10 per person entrance fee, which was to go in its entirety to charity. The whole day was organized and executed entirely by volunteers, donated services and donated funds. Not one sen of that RM10 would have gone to anyone else but those who needed it. What was your answer?

“I was invited.”

What did I say? “It’s an entrance fee, for charity.”

Did you say, “Oh, well it’s for charity. That’s alright, then,” like most people do?

No. What you said was, “Wait ah, let me call. We were invited, you know.”

At this point, I just sighed, looked at you with contempt and said, “Just go. Just go through.”

And then, for some odd reason, you said, “Just go?” I suppose it must have been the small capacity of your brain that couldn’t grasp a sudden change in action, from your handphone to driving your car.

I said, “Yes, just go through.”

I bet you thought it was because you were an important person, that I recognized who you were as an invitee. I bet you thought that was why I let you go. Or maybe not. Maybe you heard the, “We don’t want your money” that I threw at you as you drove off.

I let you go through because, at 4p.m. after standing in the sun all day, voluntarily collecting money for those in need, I couldn’t be bothered to tell you that you were, in fact, invited to a charity event. A charity event where charity was requested of you. Charity not in the form of you showing up and gracing us with your presence, but of you gracing our palms with currency. Quite obviously you needed the RM10 more than the flood victims did.

May I point out that Datuk Azman Yahaya, who drove up in his new Lamborghini LP640 and sent his Porsche GT3 on a trailer in advance, who not only donated thousands of Ringgit to pay for the insurance for the two cars to be at the event, but also donated his personal time to participate in the event, paid the RM10 entry fee.

As did the obviously much poorer man and his wife, mother and two kids who arrived in the beat up Proton Saga Hatchback just to see the cars and “ambil gambar” with them, because they’d never seen such cars before, or had the chance to be so close to them.

And the Indian man in the moderately beaten up red car, who only had RM11 in his wallet, but quite happily surrendered RM10 to me.

But no. You didn’t contribute to charity. At a charity event. I hope you realize that that look on my face when I told you to go through was contempt. And I hope to god that through the miracle of the internet, you find this letter and realize that this was you.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.