Friday 4 January 2008

Just a ping pong ball in a game of tennis

So The Boss is on leave today. Yesterday, She gave me instructions to "follow up" (i.e. chase/pressure/stress someone for something) on something with someone else from a different department. A Director, no less.

So I, this lowly management trainee, was tasked with calling a Director and demanding things of him. After two calls (at decent intervals of about 5 hours, mind you), he said he was swamped and couldn't get it by today.

The Boss then told me to continue following up today while She's gone.

I called Him once, at about 11ish, which I thought was a pretty decent hour. He hurriedly said he hadn't looked at it yet, thanked me for reminding him and hung up on me.

3 hours later, an email comes to my Inbox replying everyone involved, saying sorry, but He's been swamped.

1 hour even later, my Big Boss tells me that she's been getting nasty emails from the Director (copied to The Boss and my teammate), and that my team is actually supposed to give Him something before we ask Him for that thing that I've been calling Him for.

A glimpse at the email said that He couldn't believe that the MT called him to chase after He'd sent the email (which I only got after I'd called him), and to have some courtesy to your fellow workers.

I'm screwed on Monday. There go my hopes of getting leave next Friday. Might as well live it up this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.