Thursday 19 May 2011

Customer Service Review: DivX

The Situation:


I installed DivX Pro, including DivX Plus Web Player on my desktop to watch videos in the comfort of my room. I soon discovered that it would stop working everytime my computer woke up from hibernation. Basically, the plug-in would fail and it would freeze my browser.

After some testing, much re-installing and a lot of Googling, it became apparent that it wasn't the fault of my computer, and the paging size is not the issue. Kind of weird, because my laptop has the same platform and has DivX Plus too, and it works fine.

The Happening:

I went on to try and navigate the giant maze of preventing-actual-help-ness that is the Customer Support service of software giants.

My submission:
My browser crashes everytime I try to play something on Web Player after the computer recovers from hibernate mode. Ive tested this on both Google Chrome v11.0 and Internet Explorer v9.0, and it happened to both.

Ive tried reinstalling it, and also increasing the paging file size (which is now set to 6GB - more than sufficient).

Please advise. Thank you.
Their answer:

We are aware of this issue, and we apologize that we are not able to offer you an immediate solution for you case.

If this is a critical issue for you, at this point I recommend you to stay with a solution that will be able to meet your needs in regards to watching or converting videos..

We apologize for any inconvenience that may have caused you.

The Verdict:

So basically, they've made a player that can't cope with the simple everyday task of hibernation. Which is borderline ridiculous. The only reason I don't actually call it ridiculous is because of my encounter with Celcom, which will be written up soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.