Wednesday 10 February 2010

1Malaysia Ain't Got Nothing On Me

Despite what people*WHOREN* may think, just because I have a conversation with someone that doesn't mean I've got the hots for them. What I've noticed, and I think I can attribute this to MamaTina, is that if you're nice to people then for the most part, they're nice to you. This is why I actually have conversations with people. Of course, once they've proven that they're incompetent at customer service, all bets are off.

The easiest and fastest way to put people at ease - as I've noticed - is to say simple things in their language. Like when I tapau from the auntie at the cafe behind my house I say things like thank you in Cantonese. I try to order in Cantonese and stuff like that as well. The first time she saw a Malay girl (nevermind that I'm half Chinese - she don't know that) speak Chinese she got so impressed and was immediately smiley and conversational. When I tapau from Indian vegetarian restaurants, a simple manakem and nandre does wonders. It elicits an immediate smile and, "Oh, you speak Indian ah?" and then BAM! life is much easier and happier for everyone involved.

But seriously - think about it. How often have you been so impressed by a gwailo who speaks some Malay? I mean, learning simple words and phrases in the language of the other races that make up Malaysia is all about what Malaysia is. I personally get pretty put off by expats who've lived in Malaysia for xx number of years and never bothered to learn a word of Malay or try Malaysian street food. Nevermind learning French, Italian or Japanese. Learn to be Malaysian.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't understand the concluding part of your article, could you please explain it more?

    ReplyDelete

State your purpose.