Thursday 9 April 2009

A New Paradise - and it's Malay

Here's a complicated description of how I find out stuff: I was exploring over at Gapminder when this little dot in the middle of the Pacific Ocean of the map appeared. According to Gapminder, it was Cocos Island. A quick google tells me that the island is also known as Keeling Islands, and was - and here's the kicker - a part of Malaysia under the Straits Settlements. The island's website even gives a downlow on the people, who are Malay, from their sarongs right down to the 'bins and bintis' in their names.


Cocos/Keeling Islands is halfway between Australia and India, not far from Christmas Islands, and is now a part of Australia, and holy hell it looks gorgeous. It's so undeveloped that there are no tourist shops. Food on offer is Malay food. So far it's sounding like the ultimate destination for diving, and dammit I am going to go the second I have enough money.

Update: It's duty free! Oh my god, it's like God has just given me a big old pat on the back and said, "Here. This should make up for all the crap I've given you lately." I mean, it won't really, but it's good to know that God's trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.