Thursday 30 April 2009

May Day

Tomorrow's Labour Day. Awesome. I really need the break. I bet most Malaysian workers are thinking the exact same thing, "Another meaningless public holiday. Life is good."

So what are we actually celebrating/observing on Labour Day, a.k.a. May Day? According to Wikipedia, there's all kinds of reasons, ranging from what I suspect Malaysia thinks it is, i.e. a day of celebration for the achievements of its labourers, to pagan celebrations of fertility (which, as we all know, is always the underlying reason for holidays), to an olden-times version of St Patrick's Day involving a lot of dancing around poles and stealing them from other villages. It's even been attributed to the Virgin Mary.

And yet, Malaysians make a big fuss over cultural holidays. I think it's a whole issue of what the media decides to make a big fuss of. Power to the people, not the media. Take the initiative and read. Find things out for yourself. Don't be sheep.

I think I've lost the point of this blog entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.