Wednesday 10 September 2008

Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia

You may notice a pretty new picture on the bar. It's a little bit late, but it's not my fault. I've been away, unplugged and uncontactable for 5 weeks. Now that I'm all caught up on current events, I'm proud to display the 'Saya Anak Bangsa Malaysia' logo, created by Mob1900.

Yes, I complain; yes, I bitch; and yes, I run away every once in a while; but I've always loved my country. I'm not naive, and I don't believe that Malaysia is perfect or that it doesn't need to get better, but I'm the kind of Malaysian that loves it nonetheless.

I grew up being asked, all the time, "You Chinese or Malay, ah?" Being a mixed breed, I've always had a bit of difficulty answering that. My grandparents on my dad's side are Bugis and Javanese. My grandparents on my mum's side are Eurasian and Chinese. After a while, simply saying "Malay" became easy because I look more Malay. For a while, I tried experimenting with, "I'm Malaysian", but that just earned me confused looks.

For me, the Bangsa Malaysia logo means a little bit more, because it gives me an identity to relate to. For the country, the logo reminds us to pull together during a time when our leaders are falling apart. In the end, we're all just Bangsa Malaysia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.