Friday 18 July 2008

When Books Go Wrong

I've always been very skeptical about miracle cures. My mom and sisters, on the other hand, believe it everytime someone says, "It's great! It really works!". Nevermind the advent of the Internet (and the consequential introduction of Google, that lovely tool) that provides information at your fingertips and allows you to check out the research done for yourself.

So obviously, when The Secret suddenly became the most talked about book there is, I didn't believe it. I tried reading a little bit, and I watched a little bit of the DVD, and I came to the conclusion that, "Holy crap. I can't believe people are buying this. It's ridiculous!"

The main tenet of the book is that, if you focus on what you want, you'll get it. That begs the question then of the more than 25,000 people who die of starvation every day (Source: United Nations). Are they just not focusing their minds on getting food?

Nevermind that. I'm glad at least that some Malaysians have common sense and agree with me. I've always believed that Malaysia is a country of intellectual extremes - you're either ridiculously close-minded or open-minded and intelligent (like me. Ehem.)

Suffice to say that I agree with K.W. Wong in "snide comments" regarding The Secret. Seriously, people. Come off it.

What I'm talking about: The Star: No secret here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.