Monday 8 June 2009

Ophidiophobe

I have ophidiophobia. I don't think it's a secret to anyone who's known me for more than 2 days.

Main Entry: ophidiophobia
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a fear of snakes; also called ophiophobia
Etymology: Greek ophidion 'small snake'
From Dictionary.com

So now that you've learned a new word, my point is this: I hate when I tell people that I have a fear of snakes, that they decide to tell me things like, "But you should just go and touch one and it'll be fine and you won't be afraid anymore!" as if I live in a TV sitcom where all my insecurities, fears and problems can be solved in just one fun-filled, you'll laugh at this later, wholesome event that fits in a 30-minute or 60-minute time slot.

I am an ophidiophobe, and I stand by my fear. It's not an irrational fear. Snakes can kill you. Snakes can kill you in a very real and painful and sadistic manner. Seriously. Ever try looking at a python's teeth? Google Images it. Go on. I'll wait.

There you go. And the beauty of this beast is that they're indigenous to Malaysia, and no, not somewhere outside of KL, but in the very heart of it. Both family homes that I've lived in during my lifetime have had snake problems ranging from 6' pythons being found in the house to nests of King Cobras.

Again, I reiterate, my ophidiophobia is a rational fear and a fear based on the basic human instinct of survival and not being eaten alive. It's not an irrational fear of an animal that only lives in a country I'll never visit, or of inexistant monsters that go bump in the night, or of non-life threatening insects like spiders.

I have tried to deal with this fear in several ways. Well, just one way, really, which consisted of me going to the snake zoo-like place (whatever it's called) in Langkawi one fine day. I walked through it at a leisurely pace, I looked at the snakes, I kept getting mini heart attacks everytime my ponytail touched the back of my neck, and I got through the whole thing.

And yes, I'm still an ophidiophobe. And I'm proud of it. Leave me alone.

2 comments:

  1. maybe moving to hawaii could be part of the 5 year plan. tht really could be your happiest place on earth woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It's not an irrational fear. Snakes can kill you."

    but then only a fear of poisonous snakes would be justified. Wolves can kill you too, and people being afraid of dogs may have some kind of Darwinian root. But it can be overcome. Maybe not in a minute, but it can.

    My fear? anything that stings. Its so much so that if something flies by my head i often duck thinking its a hornet. Its almost... irrational. But i've gotten used to picnicking around honey bees. Even after the occasional sting.

    Another good step in overcoming the fear is to stop projecting human traits on to animals. A pythons teeth may be efficient for doing what they do. But pythons are hardly sadists. Projecting human intent onto animals results in the unfair persecution of certain species.

    ReplyDelete

State your purpose.