Monday 11 May 2009

You know what I hate?

I absolutely hate (among other things, of course) being pigeon-holed within seconds of meeting someone new. I hate when the second I say, par example une, "I work in a bank" and BAM! they go "oh yeah, you won't be able to talk to my bosses because all you'll be able to talk about is accounting and business". It's annoying because there are so many adjectives that define me other than Banker that they don't bother to find out about, e.g. diver.

Also, the following (summarised) conversation took place:

I took 2 degrees, one in Economics and one in Sociology.

What does Sociology do? Is there a practical application?

No, not really, but it was great to learn about.

Why would you study it if there's no practical application?

For fun. I didn't want to go to uni and miss out on the chance to learn something new that I wouldn't get anywhere else.

Isn't that a waste of money?

I don't think education is a waste of money. There's no practical application, but it really helped me open my mind to other things.

What? That's bullshit. I don't believe that.
Is it just me, or does that conversation worry you about the future of mankind too?

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.