Friday 20 March 2009

Confessions of a Shopaholic Mother

Here's my not so subtle entry for the TongueinChic Confessions of a Shopaholic contest. The contest is to promote Isla Fischer (a.k.a. Mrs Borat)'s new movie titled, what do you know, Confessions of a Shopaholic! As if you didn't know, it's based on the hilarious Shopaholic series by Sophie Kinsella, and is purported to be the new generation's answer to Sex & the City.


Essentially, I wracked my brain for a good story for a few days before I discovered that I don't have one true story of shopaholism that is worth a Gucci tote with 18K gold tag.

I have, however, several shopaholic stories about my mother. And so, my entry will be entitled, "Confessions of a Shopaholic Mother", with the tagline: 'Please let me win this contest so that I can present my mother with a Gucci tote with 18K gold tag in the hopes that she will be so grateful at her daughter's thoughtfulness that she will give her the bag'.

There was this time that I was in Siem Reap, Cambodia with a couple of friends on a holiday because we decided we needed to immerse ourselves in history and Angelina Jolie Tomb Raider-ism. We templed ourselves out on their historic ancient monuments. My parents were also "coincidentally" in Cambodia on holiday. I'm guessing that the reason they were there had more to do with the fact that it was my first international trip without them rather than with coincidence. Nevermind that I was 20. I was still their little girl.

Following is a conversation that I had with my mother just before she boarded the plane out of Siem Reap.

Mum: Adek, I just saw this gorgeous beige silk pashmina at the airport. It's really quite pretty and I don't have a pashmina in this colour yet.

Me: Uhhuh.

Mum: It's USD400. I showed it to your father but he became black-faced and started complaining about how much it cost.

Me: Uhhuh.

Mum: Here's what we're going to do. You charge the pashmina to the supplementary credit card, tell Abah that it's for your friend and that she will pay him back because she had no cash at the time.

Me: Uhhuh.

Mum: I'll give you some money when you come back.

Me: Uhhuh.

Mum: Ok, love you. Bye Adek.

And that is the Confession of my shopaholic mother. If I win this, my shopaholic story will be about how I entered my mother into a contest so that I could win a Gucci tote bag with 18K gold tag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.