Tuesday 16 September 2008

And so it begins

I just got word from a trusted source that the Chief of Army is mobilising the army and placing them at strategic positions. Word is that they may call a state of emergency, upon which a curfew will be imposed. I haven't had a curfew since I was 16.

The reason for all this is that Anwar has kept his word and is calling Pak Lah (Malaysia's current PM) to step down, saying he has the backing of a majority of the MPs. From Reuters: Malaysia's Anwar says has majority to rule:

KUALA LUMPUR (Reuters) - Malaysia's opposition alliance on Tuesday claimed it had enough support in parliament to oust the government and sought a meeting with the premier to discuss a handover as well as the king's consent.

Opposition leader Anwar Ibrahim told a press conference that he expected Prime Minister Abdullah Ahmad Badawi to meet him within the next few days to discuss a transition of power from the government, which has ruled for over 50 years.

"We have enough strength to form the government. Once we meet the prime minister, we will abide by the constitution and seek the consent of the king," Anwar told a news conference.

The government dismissed his claims of a parliamentary majority, with Deputy Prime Minister Najib Razak calling talk of the opposition winning power "the politics of deception".

Abdullah said he would not meet Anwar unless the opposition leader had something substantial to discuss.

We may be a developing country, but I never really thought that there would be a state of emergency called here. I'm a bit intimidated as to what might happen. Riots? Will they make me be a good Muslim and cover up? I hope not. I'm bonded to my company for at least another 1 year 1.5 months. I can't run away. I do predict that the share price for Bumiputra-Commerce Holdings Berhad will fall, though. Drastically.

No comments:

Post a Comment

State your purpose.