Friday 7 December 2007

Soulmate? No thanks. I've already got 5.

I suppose something someone said a couple of days ago got me thinking. I've been friends with my friends for a long time. 11 years, to be exact. That's right. That long. This has had quite a few effects on my life. For one, it's really hard for me to consider other people a close friend, simply because I have a very high standard for what qualifies as "a close friend". I don't feel the need to actually make too many new friends, because I'm so comfortable with my own little group. I don't understand that people don't understand me because I hang out so much with people who do.

Most importantly, I think, is that I'm comfortable in knowing that if I ever need someone, I've got 5 people to turn to. I have 5 people who love me unconditionally and will stay with me as long as they know that I need them. I actually feel a twinge of sympathy sometimes for those who don't have close friends, but try to just have as many friends as possible.

As the writers of Sex and the City had Carrie saying:

It's always hard to find someone who will love you unconditionally. I'm lucky enough to have found 3.

Or something along those lines.

1 comment:

  1. Not whether I'm in that 5, but whatever it is, I still like the headline. :)

    ReplyDelete

State your purpose.